Before we read Macbeth, we are going to research what life was like during the English Renaissance so that we can better understand the context in which Shakespeare wrote. Because this time period in England’s history is full of so many interesting people, events, and customs, we will focus our research on three topics that also appear in Macbeth.
Topics and research questions:
1. The Supernatural: What did English society between1500-1650 believe about supernatural elements like witches, ghosts, magic, demons, fortune-telling, etc?
2. Gender Roles: What did English society between1500-1650 believe were appropriate traits and roles for men and women?
3. Loyalty to Royalty: What did English society between1500-1650 believe made a good leader and a good citizen?
1. All library resources used for this assignment are on reserve.
2. There will be a reserve cart located near the circulation desk in the library.
3. All students working on the assignment can and should help to build the reserve collection.
4. Items on reserve may be checked out overnight only (checked out at the end of the school day and returned before classes begin the next day).
5. Items may be placed on Hold using Follett Destiny:
a. Go to the library page on Blackboard.
b. Click on the Follett Destiny icon.
c. Click on "Ursuline" to link to our collection.
d. Click on the login prompt in the upper right corner and log in using your Blackboard login.
e. Search the catalog for the title you would like to place on Hold.
f. Click on the title.
g. Click on the "Hold It!" button located on the right side of the screen.
h. You will be alerted via email when the item is available for check out.