Queste del Saint Graal ca. 1380-1400.
Description: You will participate in a roundtable discussion as a medieval figure of great importance. You will sign up for one of the “characters” listed below on Nov. 11. For our roundtable, you should be prepared to introduce your character and then participate in small discussions on the following set of topics from the perspective of your figure.
Our roundtable will take place on Tuesday, December 13th.
- You are your medieval person. All discussion should be from his/her perspective. Get into character! Consider how formally your individual might speak, what they might be most concerned about, how they think about the world around them. Also think about coming in costume to whichever degree you are able.
- Typed introduction to your character and topic notes (to be turned in the day of the panel).
- Bibliography – either MLA or Chicago style (be sure to consult reliable, academic resources)
- Successes & failures of the Third Crusade
- Transformation of the English language, from Old to Middle to Early Modern
- The Great Schism
- The Rise and fall of the Carolingian Empire
- Knightly code & chivalry
- Advent of Gothic art and architecture
- The Plague of 1348
- Eleanor of Aquitaine
- Marie de France
- Abbot Suger
- Richard the Lionheart
- Geoffrey Chaucer
- William the Conqueror
- Pope Urban II
- King Arthur
- The Wife of Bath (*only if you are not in The Wife of Bath “Pilgrim Portrait” group)
- Harold II (Godwinson)
- Edward the Black Prince
- Ramon Lull
- Joan of Arc