Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What was the cause of the Crusades and how did it affect society?
“As it developed, European civilization remained largely confined to its home continent, although Europe was never completely isolated. Some Europeans, especially merchants, had contacts with parts of Asia and Africa…. Only at the end of the eleventh century did Europeans begin their first concerted attempt to expand the frontiers of Europe by conquering the land of Palestine. (Duiker, 350).
Your assignment is to explore the causes of the Crusades during the Middle Ages, chart its origins and spread on either a map or timeline, and explain at least one major impact of the war on society at that time.
Assignment in brief
- You will write no more than ONE PAGE about the causes of the crusades and the impact they had on society. Your blurb should address the following:
- Provide a brief overview of how the Crusades began and any necessary background information (address the origins of who began them and what were the original goals).
- Reference at least one major impact of the Crusades on Europe. Specific evidence (quotes and paraphrases) should be included here. Some impacts you might consider are economic, religious, gender roles, but you are not limited to these.
- On a separate page, please include a timeline or map that depicts the affected area and the timing of the spread of the Crusades. Here is your chance to be creative. See pages 352 & 354 for examples of how you might organize a timeline.
- A properly formatted Bibliography (for both text and images) and properly formatted Footnotes (for both text and images)
Purdue OWL provides updated information about and numerous examples of paper formatting, in-text citations and work cited pages.
UNC Writing Center
A comprehensive collection of handouts on writing, style, citation and more.
Formatting MLA Citations
PowerPoint presentation focusing on the why and how of formatting citations in MLA style.
Integrated tools for note-taking, outlining, citation, documentation archiving/annotation, and collaborative research and writing.
World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras (ABC-Clio)
Covers early human history around the globe—from prehistoric times to the beginnings of the Renaissance.
A comprehensive collection of general interest resources.
ProQuest Research Library
One-stop access to thousands of full-text periodicals from one of the broadest, most inclusive general reference databases. Covers Business, Health & Medicine, History, Literature and Language, Science & Technology, Social Studies and The Arts.
Access all of Ursuline's Ebsco products in one place.
Crusades Middle Ages
Medieval Era Holy Wars
Pope Urban II Council of Clermont
Campaign Islamic Rule