Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Assignment in brief
Directions: You and your partner will pick a European country and research their exploration into Africa, Asia, and/or the Americas. You will give a brief 3-5 min presentation on your country and their trade/trading posts/colonies as the culmination to unit 2.
Essential Questions to answer in your presentation:
- What were your country’s motives to explore beyond Europe?
- Did your country establish a major trade route or navigate a previously un-navigated route (ex: sailed around the globe, sailed around the Cape of Good Hope, etc…)
- What routes, goods, and areas did your country eventually dominate?
- Choose two locations where your country had a significant presence and go into detail (did they have colonies or trading posts, what goods were traded, how did they treat the people who lived there?)
- When did your country’s presence in that area decline and why?
What kind of legacy (positive and negative) did your country leave behind when they left?
- The Netherlands (the Dutch)
Suggested search terms
trade routes exploration
colonization trading posts
Age of Exploration natives
Purdue OWL provides updated information about and numerous examples of paper formatting, in-text citations and work cited pages.
UNC Writing Center
A comprehensive collection of handouts on writing, style, citation and more.
Formatting MLA Citations
PowerPoint presentation focusing on the why and how of formatting citations in MLA style.
Go directly to one of nine databases by clicking the link on the right.
Or, to search across all or any combination of your ABC-CLIO databases, enter a word or phrase in the box and check the databases you wish to search before clicking the search button.
The Map as History
Interested in an animated map of your region?
Check out "Colonies in North America" or "The United States: a Territorial History."
Search using either the Explora database, the History Reference Center or the Literary Reference Center.
The Britannica Guide to Explorers and Explorations That Changed the Modern World by
Call Number: 910.9 BRI
Publication Date: 2009-12-20
Christopher Columbus and the First Voyages to the New World by
Call Number: 970.015 DOD
Publication Date: 1991-01-01
Call Number: 910.92 FER
Publication Date: 2006-11-01
The European Colonization of Africa by
Call Number: 325.6 NAR
Publication Date: 2011-01-01
Who Was First? by
Call Number: 970.01 FRE
Publication Date: 2007-10-15