Human Rights Research Project
We are going to research moments in recent history when countries were torn apart by hate. In these terrible events, groups
tried to gain power by discriminating, torturing, and killing those who were different from them. It can be hard to read about
these horrific occurrences; however, we must study our past so we can prevent such tragedies from ever happening again.
1. Research the historical events that correspond to the memoir you selected for our book clubs
2. Create an annotated bibliography of 3-4 credible sources
3. Write a short reflection on what you learned from your research
STEP #1: Research
When researching the historical events featured in your book club text, think of yourself as a journalist. You will need to find
answers to ALL the questions listed below in order to ensure you have a thorough understanding of the conflict.
- WHO was directly involved in the conflict?
- Which group of people were trying to gain power through violent methods?
- Who were the leaders of this group?
- Which group of people were mistreated?
- WHAT human rights violations occurred during the conflict?
- How were the human rights (as defined by the United Nations) of the mistreated group violated?
- WHERE exactly within the country did the conflict occur?
- How did the geography of this country impact or contribute to the conflict?
- WHEN did the conflict get resolved?
- When did the conflict officially begin?
- When did the conflict finally end?
- HOW did the conflict get resolved?
- What brought an end to the conflict?
- What was the final outcome of the conflict?
- What was the overall death toll? What happened to those who violated the human rights of others?
- WHY was the mistreated group targeted?
- What reasons were made up to justify oppressing the mistreated group?
- What history (events, laws, customs, etc) contributed to the ill will toward the mistreated group?
***NOTE: Your sources may be books (including dictionaries or encyclopedias), articles, videos, databases, etc. but they must
come from the UA library (NO outside sources may be used in order to ensure all information is accurate and credible)
Suggested keyword search terms or phrases:
Afghanistan Al-Anfal campaign Bosnia
Cambodia Darfur ethnic cleansing
genocide Herzogovina Hussein, Sadam
Iraq killing fields Khmer Rouge
Kurdistan Kurds Pol Pot
Rwanda Hutu Tutsi
Serbs Sudan Taliban